We have all been there, you need to create a plate of nibbles for some sort of gathering, the kids school fete. You can amaze your friends, family and kids with this simple but delicious recipe!
- 8 x Fresh Sausages – Supermarkets tend to have an array of different ¨flavoured¨ sausages, so you can keep it simple or go with something a bit more adventurous.
- Ready-made Pastry – either shortcrust or puff pastry (entirely up to you!)
- Caramelised Onions (recipe here) – you could also use chutney, pickle, cranberry sauce, apple sauce – the possibilities are endless!!
- Beaten Egg Yolk (don´t throw away the egg whites – I have another recipe for them!!)
Preheat oven to 180°
- Slit the sausage skins and peel if off. Put the sausage meat in a bowl and combine – no seasoning required.
- Unwrap the pastry, and unroll it. Cut the pastry length ways to create two long rectangles. Tip: I use a pizza cutter to get a nice straight line.
- If you are going to add chutney, then this will be when to do it. Place a row of your chosen addition to the center of each pastry strip.
- Split the meat equally between the two rectangles, leaving enough of a pastry margin to wrap over the meat.
- Beat the egg yolk, you can add seasoning if you want to.
- Brush one side of the pastry with egg yolk, and pull over the other-side of the pastry to form the roll. (See photo below)
- Turn over the roll, and cut into individual sausage rolls – you can make 16 small sausage rolls, or 8 medium sausage rolls.
- Cut a diagonal slit into the top of the sausage roll, and brush with the beaten egg yolk.
- Cook in the oven for 20 – 25mins until golden brown and hot throughout.
Enjoy warm, or great cold as a snack!