This recipe is a variation on a yoghurt based cake. The original recipe called for Greek yoghurt, but I used Alpro Plain Soya Yoghurt, and it tasted lovely!
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- ½ cup of plain yoghurt
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 Lemon – grate rind and extract juice
- 1 Lime – grate rind and extract juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of plain flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Icing Sugar Powder – to dust over to decorate when cooled
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF, and grease and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- Whisk together the eggs and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add yoghurt, olive oil and vanilla extract to the egg and sugar mix, don’t over whisk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the lemon and lime rind to the flour mix.
- Add the flour mix to the egg mix, along with the juices of both the lemon and lime. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin, and bake in the oven for 45mins. The top of the cake should be golden, and when inserting a skewer it should come out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.You can serve warm with ice-cream, or left to cool and enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee.